Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Painted Heresy-era Salamander Tactical Squad

Greetings once again InterWebs!!! It is New Year's Eve and I want to wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year! Over my long Xmas break last week I managed to get some painting time in on the Salamanders. It had been a while since I had put paint to a brush (I do not use an airbrush at all) and I was not sure I still had the touch so I wanted to try something a little easier to paint (other than characters or vehicles). I had to wait until now to find the time to snap some pictures and of course one of my lamps blew a bulb halfway through the picture taking process....doh! So here is a brief look at the first of two 20-man Tactical Squads which I have nicknamed the 'dragons':


Here are a few closer looks at some of the various interesting guys in the squad:





I understand this is not a typical Salamander look but this is how I understand them to look in the Horus Heresy (30k) timeline. I went this route after looking at Forge World's Massacre book, Black Library's Index Astartes vol IV, and Nick Kyme's Salamander novels. I went with the black helmets to signify the 24th Line Company (and help show the glowing red eyes). All in all I think I captured the feel and look of Space Marines from a death world of savage reptile hunters. There is still weathering to be done at a later date and their bases will be painted on New Years while watching American Football and Hockey!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! I would again like to wish everyone a very Happy New Years! Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment