Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Heresy Era Salamanders Legion Cataphractii Terminators WiP part 1

Greetings once again InterWebs!!! Time for a mid-week look at my current build process for Legio XVIII; this time I would like to present my version of Salamanders Cataphractii Terminators. Here are a bunch of shots of the build process so far.

The gathering of bits needed for the build:

 Resin components from a sculptor in Russia. These are not Forge World kits as will become evident later:

The Russian kits require the use of 'normal' Terminator legs and arms. In the Heresy-era there are rivets on most of the armor plates (especially the legs) so I wanted to make the modern legs look more Heresy-era; Mordian 7th to the rescue (yet again) with some rivets he brought over for me to try. Here are the rivets:

One set of legs with the rivet locations marked out:
 With a very small drill bit the holes were made for the rivets to slip into:

A group shot of the legs:
 Some close-up shots of the legs:



Time to mount the upper torsos:

Figuring out the weapon and shield arms; basically trying to find posses that I like:

The Salamanders Legio can take proto-storm shields in the Heresy-era so I wanted to make sure they had them! Since they are currently the only Legio that can have them this unit should be a center piece of my army:
 The proto-storm shields I used are a mixture of Spellcrow and Chapter House Studios bits:

Here are some close-up views of the various members (of the yet unnamed squad) starting with....
Squad Sergeant with Master Crafted Thunder Hammer:

 Not everyone has a thunder hammer, I want a dragon-looking power fist.......



 For when I want a heavy flamer in the unit I built a guy to swap out for the power fist guy:
 The heavy flamer say 'Inferno' on the side, I think that is appropriate:

This is were the squad sits at the moment. I still have to bend and attach the leather (resin) looking straps that hang from underneath the shoulder pads and somehow figure out how to make/convert some drake scale mantles for them. I also plan on making some fetish/trophy strings and little sections of Salamander Scales hanging from certain areas, still a bunch of work still to go. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Take care!

5 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic, man - the rivets really help the heresy feel. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Labour of Love for sure. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @M7 Thanks! The rivets you supplied are awesome!

    @Anonymous Yes indeed a Labour of Love! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the russian terminator parts?
    I had an ebay link but lost it months ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased these years ago on eBay and I believe the seller was 'irina est'. I have seen them pop up from time to time on eBay but I don't think it is the same seller. Hope that helps.

      Delete