Friday, March 14, 2014

WIP: Urtzi Malevolus the Despoiler of Mars

Greetings once again InterWebs!!!! As a break from the Heresy Salamanders I thought I would work on something I can use with my next Heresy-era army; I am going to have some Dark Mechanicum allies to go with a traitor legion. I wanted to start off with a nice HQ choice and there is none better fluff-wise (in my opinion) than.......

Urtzi Malevolus, Despoiler of Mars
Few names cause more division amongst the Priesthood of Mars than that of Urtzi Malevolus. It was Malevolus who allowed the abomination of the Kaban Machine to achieve full sentience. It was Malevolus who crafted the Tactical Dreadnought Armor that the Warmaster Horus wore throughout the Siege of Terra.It was Malevolus who railed against the Treaty of Mars and obliterated the wondrous forges of Mondus Occulum. But the Priests of the Mechanicus consider themselves beyond petty concerns and outrages. What is valued is knowledge and Urtzi Malevolus has millennia of unique and precious data. His treacherous actions are scrutinised for glimpses of this lore. The Kaban Machine is almost deified by the Legio Cybernetica. TheWarmaster’s armor was a fantastic and an unrivalled achievement in plasteel and ceramite. And as for Mondus Occulum… Well only the Omnissiah is perfect.Unlike the traitorous Fabricator General Kelbor Hal, Malevolus was not killed outright at the end of the Horus Heresy.Wounded and allowing the loyalists to believe him slain, Malevolus made his way to the distant Forge World of Godhammer. This nascent machine world was of alien origin and although the Mechanicum now used it as their own, Malevolus knew that deep with its vaults lay a secret he had not shared with even his fellow conspirators.

I ordered up a nice resin kit from Blight Wheel Miniatures and then set to work on the assembly of the Despoiler of Mars:


Basic assembly of the Blight Wheel Miniatures kit:



Mounted on his custom built Tech-looking base:


No self respecting Tech Priest of Mars would be caught without mechandenrites, so I decided to make some. I personally like the look of the snaking mechandenrite so I wanted to make mine very pliable. I decided to use very thin wire (20 gauge) and a thinner wire (28 gauge) wrapped around it. This gave me a very flexible cable to base the mechandenrite on. Here is a shot of the initial wire wrap:

The final assembly of Urtzi Malevolus with all of his mechandenrites:








I think the Despoiler of Mars turned out quite well. I am pleased with how all of his various mechandenrites actually add to the model and definitely help it look more like the GW artwork. Tomorrow I should have some time to paint him up. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Take care! I would love to hear what you think about Urtzi Malevolus.

No comments:

Post a Comment