Sunday, September 1, 2013

Armorcast Chaos Warhound: Banners Finished

Greetings once again InterWebs!!! I had a little time this weekend to pop into the hobby room and I decided to work on some Dark Mechanicus Banners for my Armorcast Warhound Soulforged Titan.


The process of getting the banners done

A long time ago I learned how to make 15mm banners out of Wine Foil (the stuff that seals the cork in) and I thought it would work well for the larger banners I wanted to make. I use the foil instead of paper because the foil is very bendable, easy to paint, takes 'damage' well, and is heavier than paper; the only thing paper has going for it (in my opinion) is it can be burned to give a scrotched effect.

Time to gather some supplies from the closet:

You will notice that the foil coming off the bottle is a bit wrinkly so it needs to be flattened out before use. I made sure to not cause it to roll up while flattening it out.

Now the piece is all nice and flat:

At this point I drew out the rough shape of the banner:

Another nice thing about this type of foil is that it can be easily cut with standard household scissors (not shown for some reason) and clean up of tight areas are done with a hobby knife:


The banners were then primered and painted up. Here is the front-side of the three Chaos/Dark Mechanicus Banners:
 I hate painting 'free-hand'! I am not an artist by any means......

I thought the back-sides of the Banners. I wanted to do something and gave a try at some flames. Again I am not an artist and will be the first to admit that these could have turned out better. I hate free-hand painting!


Here are a couple of shots of the Banners installed on Canis Messorem:



I think the Warhound is complete. I could do some battle damage on the legs but I think it is time to move on to other projects (of which there are tons).......
Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Take care!

6 comments:

  1. WOW! I didn't realize how much a painted banner would add. I think "good call" on the legs... after your other projects.... maybe you could come back to it if so desired.

    Looks Great! Binary....chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think the banners add to the model. I have so many other projects demanding attention, you should hear the clammer from the hobby room at night! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!

      Delete
  2. Banners definitely add to the model. My only complaint is there is no 2 in binary. Should be 8 numbers in a combination of 1's and 0's per row. This way if you read the rows down it could say something to anyone who can read or understand binary. Sorry to rant, I'm an OCD programmer. Again though, great work on the model! love the old armorcast titans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I added the various 2's to the binary to show the corrupting influence of Chaos. I thought the 2 would show a little 'scrap code' sneaking in. Thanks for the comment, I knew I was going to upset some diehard programmers but it is Chaos after all. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look!

      Delete
  3. Nice! Love how that turned out man, the banners really take it to the next level.

    The 2 in the binary cracks me up - That's how you know it's a chaos titan! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think the banners add a little something. The 2 was done in humor and to show some 'scrap code'.

      Delete